Friday, June 15, 2012

BIOLOGICAL ANTHROPOLOGY: Zoo Primates on a Regular Day


by Laisy Almanza, March 25, 2012
    Zoo Primates on a Regular Day
Abstract
     This paper focuses on the conclusions made during one day of observation of primates at Lowry Park Zoo. Keeping in mind that they aren’t in their natural habitat I observed a Golden Lion Tamarin, a Mandrill, a Siamang Gibbon, and a Ring-Tailed Lemur. I was able to observe the hierarchy involved with the Mandrills by observing the male in the group which was very interesting. I was also able to see the vibrant orange color of the Golden Lion Tamarins and how they vertically cling on tree branches as a mode of locomotion. The Ring-Tailed Lemur really interested me because it was so interested in all the people viewing it. It kept inspecting the viewers as if to wonder why they were there even though they should be used to the attention by now. The Siamang Gibbon amazed me with its amazing brachiating and also how playful the young were which made them all amazing to observe even though I focused on one individual from each group of primates.
Introduction
    The purpose of my study was to simply observe the actions of each group of primates during a period of time. This also allowed me to see what made each of them a primate and I could also compare their behaviors in certain situations to ours which in some cases were similar. It was extremely interesting to see this because humans always place themselves in a higher class then the rest of the world but they don’t realize that a lot of our actions are a lot like other primates’ actions. Although these primates are not in their natural habitats, observing them at the zoo gave me a close view of their usual behaviors even if they are somewhat different in a fake habitat. My main question during this research was: What makes humans, us, so different from other primates, them? With further observation I was able to determine that we aren’t much different from “them” in many ways.
Materials and Methods
    I took a quantitative approach for this research because I wanted to view the behaviors of each primate in a systematic way. This allowed me to focus on the typical behaviors and once done I could go back to my data and “replay” their behaviors. I was able to do this by using ethograms for each primate with one minute intervals in between each behavior.
Results
   The first primate that I observed was the Golden Lion Tamarin which was mostly just sitting and inspecting the viewers except for a couple of times where he would get up and walk around for a couple seconds. The second primate that I observed was the Mandrill which was really interesting because by simply observing the male I could tell there was hierarchy in the group of Mandrills. When I began to observe the male he was standing but then he began to walk and inspect for a couple second. Then it began to stare at the people and it flashed its eyes a couple times and swayed from left to right for a brief moment which is a form of display to mark their territory but since no one threatened him the display did not continue for more than a couple seconds. Also after he was done displaying he remained prone for the rest of my observations and I noticed that none of the rest of the mandrills got near him as if they were scared. The third primate I observed was the Siamang Gibbon which was really fun because they were all extremely playful. I observed an adult male gibbon and even though he was an adult I still saw some playful behavior in addition to brachiating. The brachiating was amazing because I could see how flexible their shoulder joints are. I also saw some scratching and auto-grooming. Another amazing thing I was able to see was the vocalizing but only for about 20 seconds. 



Something even more interesting than this was that I saw him run on his two legs for a brief moment. The last primate I observed was the Ring-Tailed Lemur. The lemur did a lot of inspecting while he was sitting and occasionally scratching. During my observations I was only able to see him leap once but it was extraordinary because it was a pretty high leap.
Discussion
After compiling all of my data I was able to come to the conclusion that Golden Lion Tamarins are extremely calm creatures or at least they are in the habitat that was created for them. The fact that they are not in their natural habitat should always be taken into consideration of course. The weather could have also played a big part in their calmness because, similarly to us, they become tired when the sunlight is shining on them. I also came to the conclusion that Mandrills have a culture similar to us where hierarchy is involved. The alpha male of the group is the one that has to show or display their greatness while everyone, in a sense, worships him. This of course is an advantage when it comes to having the best treatment and resources but it’s a disadvantage when it comes down to conflict because being the alpha male they have to protect the rest of the group. In our society the male is also viewed as the” protector” of the family and therefore have to be stronger and better than the other males. The Siamangs turned out to be very active and playful creatures. They brachiated several times during my observations which shows how strong their shoulder joints are. I also realized that, when needed, siamangs will use bipedalism although not well because of the placement of their bones and also their pelvic bones (Jurmain, Kilgore, Trevathan, & Ciochon, 2011). Because of this they walked in an awkward manner but the point is that they were able to position their body to do so. Lastly the Ring-Tailed Lemur really amazed me because he was extremely observant. Although I am aware that their eyes do not have as much movement in their eye sockets and therefore have to move their heads to view different objects, I till noticed a great interest from them (Zoo, 2008). This shows that they are extremely aware of their environment and are interested in what might be happening around them. This of course is also shown in human behavior because we always try to have an idea of what is occurring in our surroundings. All in all, I was able to see how other primates behave like humans and also what makes us truly humans.


Works Cited

France, D. L. (2011). Lab Manual and Workbook for Physical Anthropology. Belmont: Wadsworth Cengage Learning.
Jurmain, R., Kilgore, L., Trevathan, W., & Ciochon, R. L. (2011). Introduction to Physical Anthropology. Belmont: Wadsworth Cengage Learning.
National Geographic. (2012). National Geographic. Retrieved from National Geographic: http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/golden-lion-tamarin/
Zoo, H. (2008). Honolulu Zoo. Retrieved from Honolulu Zoo: http://www.honoluluzoo.org/ringtailed_lemur.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment